Tacos, Burritos, Enchiladas, Quesadillas… These foods do not disappoint us in bringing water into our mouths. Just the thought of biting into the savoury, juicy and crunchy tacos makes me crave this delicacy everyday. I just hope and wish that we had a mexican stall in our school canteen and trust me, you would be seeing me there everyday. Yup…you should have figured out by now, I am a mexican food lover. I devote my life to trying all types of mexican foods. “Devote” seems like a big word to use but little do you know that Chipotle sauce flows in my veins.
This legendary cuisine traces back to 7000 BCE, when Mexico and Central America was yet to be colonized. Back then indigenous people roamed the area and survived by hunting animals and gathering plants. One of the most common plants in the area was the wild chile pepper, which they ate frequently. The indigenous people also had a very hard time collecting sufficient protein, as meat was scarce around the area. To try to make up for this they ate a lot of beans, which would be served as a side of most meals with corn. This is how traditional mexican food was born.
Most popular Mexican dishes:
- Tacos are small hand-sized corn or wheat tortillas topped with a filling. A taco can be made with a variety of fillings such as beef, pork, chicken, beans, vegetables, and cheese, allowing for great versatility and variety. They are often garnished with various condiments, such as salsa, guacamole, or sour cream, and vegetables, such as lettuce, onion, tomatoes, and chiles.
- A quesadilla consists of a tortilla that is filled primarily with cheese, and sometimes meats, spices, and other fillings, and then cooked on a griddle or stove. Traditionally, a corn tortilla is used, but it can also be made with a flour tortilla.
- A burrito consists of a flour tortilla wrapped into a sealed cylindrical shape around various savory filling, most often a meat such as chicken, beef, or pork, and often include a large array of other ingredients such as rice, cooked beans, vegetables such as lettuce and tomatoes, cheese, and condiments such as salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, or crema.
Common ingredients in Mexican food:
Mexican people are known to like foods that possess unbearable spice (enough to burn a hole through you) making it common to see most mexican foods have loads of chillies packed in them. Here are some other ingredients that mexicans incultivate in their masterpiece presented on a plate:
- Beans (Found in Burritos, salads and Tacos)
- Rice (Found in Burritos and Salads)
- Avocado (Can be found in almost anything)
- Cheese (Found in EVERYTHING)
- Tomatoes (Used as base for almost all the foods)
Spices: Serrano, Poblano, Guajillo, Pasilla, Piquin, Habanero, etc.
Where near RI can you find good Mexican food?
By now, all of y’all must be craving to try this mouth watering cuisine. But fret not, there are many restaurants near Bishan where you can get food Mexican food at an affordable price.
Address: 215f Upper Thomson Rd, Singapore 574349
Take bus 410G from Raffles Institution and arrive at this amazing pace in just 20 min !
- Guzman Y Gomez:
Address: #01-68/69 Novena Square, 238 Thomson Rd, 307683
Take bus 851 from Raffles Institution and alight at Novena Square in just 20 min!
- Cha Cha Cha Mexican:
Address: 32 Lor Mambong, Singapore 277690
Take the circle line to Holland Village and reach you toca in under 30 min.
These are the top 3 mexican restaurants you can find near our school. They offer a variety of mexican dishes ranging from popular dishes such as tacos and burritos to some fusion food. Don’t miss out on this taco licious cuisine.